The Chalybeate

Tuesday 14 February 2006

Rattling

I live in a large house, by UK standards. It has 10 rooms, 13 if you count differently. And today I am rattling around, as my wife & daughter have gone away for a couple of days. It's not lonely, just quiet. I'm avoiding work and avoiding looking for other work, relishing time on my own. No pressure, now.

Is this what life will be like when both children have finally left home? Peaceful? I missed my son so much when he left to go to college, although we don't really get on under usual circumstances: there seems to be no common ground between us in the way we act and think. When he was back home for a weekend, I found his presence unnerving. Yet, I love him fiercely and protectively and want him to make a strong way in the world. What would be better, to encourage him to return here after his year away, or persuade him to live away from us? Whatever we choose will be the wrong decision. How can we choose?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home