The Chalybeate

Wednesday 8 November 2006

Made you cry.

I feel like a bastard.

This lunchtime, I was walking back home from the shops, up a narrow Victorian street of terraced houses, lined with cars on both sides. Because it's narrow, it's one-way. Walking up it, I followed a small red car which was driving the wrong way. Amazingly, it got almost to the top of the road and parked without meeting any other vehicle heading down towards it.

A youngish bespectacled woman got out of the car, and walked down the pavement towards me.
"Congratulations, " I said. "You were lucky"
"Why?" she asked.
"Because you've just driven a hundred yards the wrong way up a one-way street without meeting anything"

"Oh," she replied. "I'm sorry" and she burst into tears.
"I've got flu, and I needed to get to the bank, and I shouldn't be driving, and I just want to go home, and, and,......."
"And no, you can't do anything to help, "
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to...."
More tears.

I feel like such a bastard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home