The Chalybeate

Wednesday 14 February 2007

Worried?

OK, so this is the situation.
I'm an ordinary bloke approaching middle age, unemployed.
Some men not much older than me are retired, I don't think I can afford to, and Moonface wouldn't want me to stop work. Besides, I enjoy it.

I've been a salesman for more than twenty years, nearly all of that time very successfully, but the last four years have been crap. I don't think it's my fault, but one has to wonder. Have I lost my edge, or were the products rubbish? Now I need a job, but who will overlook my recent record? What type of company will employ me?

And, I don't really know what I want to do - except that I've a good commercial mind and a brain, and I like selling. So, who shall I approach? Local companies or big ones? Bristol-based, national, American, European? I'm buggered if I know.

In the past, I've sold across Europe, and across the UK. That involved lots of travel and driving, which is a pain in the arse. Frankly, I think I'd enjoy a smaller geographical patch. But, since I've mainly sold to pharma, that will be difficult as there are few local pharma customers. Or should I try to act as the EU representative of an American company?

Decisions, decisions?
And, should I accept an average salary for an easier job? Should I try to go part-time? That would be ideal, but would it be feasible for a "professional" salesman?

And most important: will anyone employ me? My recent record isn't good. Will they look beyond that? At years of being really good, of working well with people, of helping to build companies from nothing to something? Am I condemned to a life on the dole? That's what I'm afraid of, deep down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home