The Chalybeate

Monday 26 March 2007

Art



It's difficult to concentrate on art of any sort for more than an hour or so. Generally, I prefer to dip into a gallery for just twenty or thirty minutes, as that sort of time provides some stimulation without being overwhelming. It's one reason that I object to paying for access to public collections, because once I pay I want to get my money's worth, and usually spend more time than is best.

That's why I like the National Gallery's travelling exhibitions which spend a couple of months in Bristol each year. This year, the subject is "Work, Rest & Play". To view it takes about half an hour, and amongst the Old Masters & Impressionists are some real gems. Yesterday we walked over for a second viewing, and confirmed that Ruby Loftus is a masterpiece. The look of concentration on her face is so lifelike, and you can see the dirt under her fingernails if you peer close to the original. I like industry, the power of making things.

My other favourite picture from this exhibition is The Iron Forge by Joseph Wright. There, it's the use of light that appeals, the idea that manual work can provide illumination both physical and metaphorical.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home