The Chalybeate

Tuesday 15 May 2007

Foxes


There's no point in my looking guilty about that poor fox; I did it.
In my defence, foxes are horrid pests, both in town and in the country.

But their numbers don't appear to be dropping, as since returning to Bristol from that weekend, I have seen two of the mangy animals walking unconcerned along our street, and another one walked through a friend's garden whilst we were eating a meal, and stopped to watch us as we in turn regarded it. Then it loped off, unpeturbed.

The urban foxes are different from the country foxes, though. Townies tend to be thinner and more watchful, and they are usually a different colour. Instead of a rich russet red, these are more a tawny black. Whether this colour gives them better camouflage in town, I don't know. Perhaps it's their diet of discarded kebabs, chips and chicken bones that does it. The one I saw returning from the pub last night certainly looked as if it was eating chips.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home