The Chalybeate

Wednesday 11 October 2006

London




Usually, I see London through business eyes. I arrive on the train, fight my way onto the Tube, trudge to a meeting, then reverse the journey; all in the space of a few hours. I wear a suit and tie, polished black shoes, carry a laptop. All I see is the rush and the grime. Every evening after a trip to London, my shirt collar will be black, and my snot will be grey.

This weekend, Moonface & I went to visit friends, and it was a revelation. The sun shone, the air was cool and the traffic was light. We stayed with friends in Camden, with lots of space and time to entertain (now that their children are away at school) Instead of the tube, we took buses. Not buses like Bristol, but new, clean, fast, frequent and cheap buses. Brigh red London buses. Lovely.

We walked from Trafalgar Square to the river, then along the South Bank, watching the other tourists and seeing the sites. Of course, there was an ulterior motive in our friend Lynne choosing this route. She took us into her office, where her window seat must have one of the best views in the city. From a vantage point several storeys up, opposite HMS Belfast,she looks directly across the river to the Tower of London, and down to Tower Bridge. Senior accountants have it cushy.

The pictures were taken on the camera phone, so they aren't that great. But hey, we had a good weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home