The Chalybeate

Wednesday 27 December 2006

Christmas

Où sont les neiges d'antan?


I've not seen snow at Christmas for years. This year we had dull pewter skies and a pervading damp. The roads and paths didn't dry, nor did the sun shine.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the day, as did the rest of my family. I was selfish enough to choose to cycle to the Farm, about thirty miles along the canal path followed by a dozen road miles. The in-laws were welcoming as ever, and we had few arguments considering our differing outlooks on life. I was tired after three hours in the saddle and a roast goose, so instead of taking the traditional walk with the family, Rio and I snoozed on the sofa. It could have been the wine, of course. I wish that I saw more of Jane & Michael. I can't work out why I am always so reluctant to visit the Farm if I don't have to. Perhaps it's because I feel out of place, or because of the memories of difficult days with Moonface's father.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home