The Chalybeate

Tuesday 5 December 2006

The Dug-Out

On the night of 4th December I picked up a girl - or she picked me up - in the Dug-Out, a sleazy cellar club with beer soaked carpets and too much smoke. She was the friend of a friend, a skinny blonde with blue eyes and a big mouth. Not that I could see the colour of her eyes in the dim lights and haze of the club.

I think that my first words to her were to ask her to buy me a drink while she was at the bar. I suppose that I was feeling ultra-confident, because I'd had a one-night stand the evening before, after a drought of months. She bought me the drink, so we talked. Then we danced, and talked more, and presumably drank more. I don't remember.

Then, I walked her home and stayed overnight. I liked her.

.

.

.

.

.

.

I still do. That was in 1973. We're married now, and have been for more than thirty years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home