The Chalybeate

Friday 24 November 2006

Santa Dog

Santa Dog played at Joe Public's last night. The have a good strain of jangly guitar pop or rock, with decent tunes. I can't see them ever being a great commercial success, but I hope I'm wrong. Rowena's voice is clear and forceful, and Martin's drumming keeps the whole grop together. Rob & Rob, the guitarists, are more than competent.

Joe's Public's is a cellar club or bar, with a good atmosphere, low ceilings and just the right lighting levels. And the drink's cheap. The clientele were friendly, ranging from mid-teenagers to (cough) my age with a preponderance of 20-ishs. I was there mainly because Martin's a friend, and I like the music.

Overall, I reckon that Santa Dog and their support, the Half-Rabbits, gave a better show than Amy Whinehouse, although her musicians were probably more skilled. The intimacy of a small club helps, of course, but so does a decent voice and a respect for the audience.

********

And if anyone from Paris or environs is reading this, Santa Dog will play at the Fleche d'Or in Paris on the 1st December. Entry will be free, although it's supposedly a special night for militant lesbians. So go along!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home