The Chalybeate

Thursday 16 November 2006

Too much

Last weekend shattered me: we did too much.
I shouldn't complain, I get bored when there's no company.
So what happened? On Friday evening, Moonface & I went to eat with friends using the American supper principle: everyone takes something to eat & something to drink. The result was that we all ate loads and drank more, talking until midnight. Our companions were the Hostelling crowd, and we were trying to sort out the arrangements for New Year at The Held.

On Saturday I had my usual potter around the Gloucester Road doing the shopping and talking to people in the street, which was very relaxing. In the evening I went out with Frank to listen to some choral music. It wasn't a very original programme (Beethoven, Haydn, Schubert) but it was very well sung. I love the way that I fall into a reverie when listening to classical music; it's so different from the stimulation that I receive from rock. Walking home, Frank insisted on a quick half. We found a pub that I hadn't been into for years (The Bell in Kingsdown) and had more than a half. The pub was just as it should be: not too quiet nor noisy, with plenty of seats, good beer and low lights.

On Sunday, two friends that we hadn't seen for years came over. Jim & Nicky are country solicitors, but still rabidly & refreshingly left-wing. we talked politics, visited both the Museum & the RWA Autumn Exhibition, and ate venison left over from my road-kill in the summer.

Jim bought a wonderful picture at the exhibition. More of that anon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home