The Chalybeate

Tuesday 26 June 2007

Shit !

I'm not really into cars. I like comfort, convenience, flexibility and anonymity. Until I acquired the Saab, I was always pretty happy with standard repmobiles so long as they started, worked, and didn't kill my back. I've understood that many other people do like cars, so much so that they form a major part of their lives.

My mate Neil's like that. He should have been a mechanic in a racing team, instead of which he's a very skilled and experienced IT project manager & consultant. He thinks cars, he races karts at weekends, and reads about the damn things. Earlier this year, he bought himself a nice new car, a dark blue one. It's got four wheels but only two seats. It's a Porsche Cayman S with lots of goodies, and even I admit that it does look fine.

On Saturday,Neil took me out for a drive. Hell's teeth the thing is fast. It's the first time I've been exhilarated in a car for many years and possibly the first time without being scared. In the country lanes to the south-west of Bristol we scraped corners and burned up hills, rounding bends like there were snakes behind us. He told me that he touched 100 on some straights. Ye gods, it's fast. And, it sounds good, too.


***********************

Apart from that, the weekend was ordinarily pleasant.
My best friend from school dropped in for coffee, whilst collecting his daughter from university. In all the 25+ years we have lived here, it's the first time that he has visited. I pottered around, went to the pub on Friday night with three other blokes, ate with Neil again on Saturday night, swam a couple of times in the lake and mended a puncture on a bicycle.

Oh, yes, and missed Moonface, who was grooving at Glastonbury, the dear old thing.
She arrived home at five a.m. on Monday morning, exceedingly tired and quite smelly. She's better in both respects, now.


:o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home