The Chalybeate

Tuesday 16 October 2007

Lacrimae Rerum

Another leak
in the lavatory roof
drip drip down the lightbulb.
I pissed in the dark, raindrops
smacking my shoulder-blades.

This morning I woke
to fresh wet birdsong
under a cloud of quilt
last night's hot sweetness
still fizzing between my legs.

I was fooled into swallowing spring
jumping up to make tea
and rinse dishes, whistle
a liquid kitchen oratorio.

It's your birthday next week.
This time next year
I think you'll be gone
quietly as this water
slipping over my hands.

After your funeral
we'll return
to your parched house.
We'll try to hold our mother up
like this exhausted roof.

I carry your dying
inside me
as real as milk

as I'll carry on
getting the roof fixed
making love
weeping into the washing-up.


Another Michele Roberts poem: short, brutal, romantic and without hope.
Funny, I had no idea that she wrote prose as well, until I tried searching for this one on the internet. Mournful stuff, but that suits my mood at the moment.

:*

M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home