The Chalybeate

Saturday 10 January 2009

Heavy, Man

Instead of taking the van up to Bracknell to join the Singletrack people for a mass cycle ride, I joined Duncs and Matt for a couple of hours around Blackdown in the Mendips. Oh bugger. I was so much slower that them up the hills, and since the Mendips are just that, the poor sods had to wait for me at the top of every climb. Now, this might have been because I had my rear tyre squishy and underinflated, and the suspension set too soft, but it might also have been because my legs are not as strong and as exercised as they should be. So I ran some sections where the hills were steep, keeping up with Duncs & Matt as they spun their cranks in granny gear, but in others I had to copy them but found that I was just slower. No matter. They had plenty of opportunity to rest, and in spite of my inability to go fast, I didn't seem to get very out of breath.

And on the flat or downhill, I had'em. Whether it was confidence in myself or confidence in the bike, I was able to overtake on the descent, jumping and sliding just faster than them. And I really liked doing so. Overtaking scarily is FUN. My glasses steamed up and froze over, but what the hell? I need to get fitter so that I can climb as fast as them, now. I guess losing some weight might help, too. Trying to lift my current 82kg of blubber up the slopes isn't as easy as the 72kg or so which I weighed five years ago. I need to lose it.

The conditions were icy. It was -4c when we left Bristol, and it must have been -7c on the hills. The grass was white with rime, the ground was frozen solid. We had a great time, cold or not.

:o)

And, because I hadn't headed to Bracknell for the day, I had time this afternoon to fix the breakfast room light fitting which had detached itself from the ceiling. Another little job done around the house.

:o)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home