The Chalybeate

Tuesday 28 February 2006

Booze & birds

There I was, sitting in front of the box late on Friday night, with tea and toast after a long ride home, when the front door opened.

Sort of.

My daughter was returning home after a party. Usually she sneaks quietly into the house, tip-toeing so as not to disturb her mother or me. This time, it took her several attempts to get past the lobby, with humungous amounts of clattering & stumbling. Then, when she tried to open the door into the dining room, she collapsed onto the floor. Pissed as a rat!

So, I made sure she had some water to drink, helped her upstairs to bed, made sure she was comfy, and put a bowl beside her in case she was sick. (Which she wasn't)

And in the morning, she rose at 7:15, right as rain, clear-eyed and not hungover at all. Isn't youth wonderful?

This was the first time I've seen her drunk. I suppose that at 18 it's reasonable enough for this to be a first. We had a "serious talk" on Saturday afternoon; she was quite contrite.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home