The Chalybeate

Sunday 30 April 2006

Bicycles

I like bicycles. If it were possible, I'd like to live without a car. Over the last few days I have enjoyed life with a bike in several different ways, appealing to different aspects of my personality.

So, on Tuesday evening I went out for a ride in the dark with some mates, appealing to my team spirit, my desire to belong to a group and by racing them, also appealing to my competitive urge. And cycling fast is scary, driving up my adrenalin levels and producing a sensation of fun.

On Wednesday, I bought some new bits for one of the bikes, appealing to the nerdish collector within me. I suppose that's the "gatherer" component of humanity's hunter-gatherer instinct.

On Friday I ran a couple of errands and did some shopping in town, suing the bike as a utilitarian means of transport: faster and easier than a car over short distances.

On Saturday, I did some tweaking and fitting and fettling of bits on three bikes. I find that mechanical work produces a deep focussed calm, a wonderful concentration upon the matter in hand which is difficult to obtain by other means. It's relaxing, like yoga.

On Sunday I went for a ride in the woods by myself, keeping me fit and resulting a satisfying sense of physical exhaustion. En route, I scared myself again, was able to think clearly about a number of issues currently occupying my mind and gave myself a complete break from home.

Not bad, for a cheap hobby, although it could become expensive if I let it. It appeals to nearly all sides of my personality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home