The Chalybeate

Thursday 1 March 2007

Memory Loss

Bloody computers!

I've just changed from an old work PC which has had to be returned, to another laptop.
Like a good lad, I've backed up all my old files onto an external drive for security.

And will the new laptop read the old data?Will it buggery !
I've spent hours wrestling with the damned things, but the drive remains resolutely blank.

I've tried it on a friend's PC and on a seven-year old machine running extinct software, and both of them can see everything, but this brand-new Windows machine thinks that my 100GB of photos and files doesn't exist. AAGH !

3 Comments:

  • talk to the ones you got it from..

    By Blogger neek, at 1/3/07 12:45  

  • Blame Windows. What OS is on your new laptop, what was on the old one? It's often a question of FAT 32 vs NTFS.

    By Blogger Kaa, at 1/3/07 14:30  

  • Thanks,Ash. Of course the vendors will both say that it's the other piece of equipment.Ho-hum.

    Kaa,
    Old,XP Professional.
    New,XP Media.#

    Like you say, it's the Windows.
    Time to learn Ubuntu, methinks. Now, there's a Swahili word I've picked up. :o)

    By Blogger Moses, at 1/3/07 14:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home