The Chalybeate

Sunday 3 June 2007

The Nova Scotia



The Nova is at the other end of the Docks from the pubs I frequent most often. It's downstream, to the west of the centre, and is located by the original locks controlling entry to the locks before the New Cut diverted the Avon away from the centre of town. Its walls are covered with old nautical charts and pictures of ships that have sailed past, and there is still a good smattering of boaties and old naval men here. Nowadays, in summer, the seats by the water are filled with trippers and cyclists for whom this is the closest pub to Leigh Woods.

When I lived in Clifton Wood the Nova was one of my locals, and it was one of the very first pubs that I went to when I first moved to Bristol, following a visit by a respected folk-singer from the North. I still visit occasionally, to meet friends from south of the river or just to enjoy the waterside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home