The Chalybeate

Sunday 4 November 2007

Sunshine

I complained a few weeks ago about feeling old, becoming unable to undertake the physical activities that I used to with the same degree of speed, strength, stamina, etc. Today, in the strong low sunshine, everything went right. Riding the singlespeed through the quarry on the Downs and into the woods, I felt that I was cycling faster and better than I have done for some months. I cycled over logs that I wouldn't have attempted last week, I managed the tricky turns well, and the mud held no fears. It must be the sunshine. Now, four hours later, my forearms ache and my legs are tired; it's that comfortable satisfaction that comes with physical exhaustion.

After the ride I sat in the arbour at the bottom of the garden with a mug of tea, a bacon sandwich and a book. I trimmed back the lower overhanging tendrils of creeper to allow the November sun to reach me, so I could sit with the light on my face. Prompted by this rash act of gardening, I decided to mow the lawn. It's November! It's probably the latest ever in the year that I have mown the lawn; it's still growing in spite of the lack of direct light upon the shady areas, so the mix of moss and grass is all wrong beneath the southern wall.

It's been a good day. Despite the traumas of the early part of the month, the recent sun and lack of rain have made October better than July in many respects. Let's hope that November continues this way.


:-)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home