The Chalybeate

Thursday 17 April 2008

Cameras

I'm still excited.

I'm over fifty, yet I have never before owned a camera of my own. I've borrowed them, I've used Moonface's many times, but I've never had one of my own before.

Just before our recent holiday I bought one for my own use and I've had fun. It's easy to use, has a decent zoom, and seems to take good pictures. I've taken lots. That's the great thing about digital cameras - you can make mistakes, play around, and not be worried about the cost of film or of developing. In earlier times, I remember that we were very aware of the (relatively) huge cost of photography which was very inhibiting. Of course, in our youth we were also taking pictures of the wrong things: places instead of people, landscapes instead of streets. Now we have albums of places that we don't recognise, but fewer of friends past: the important memories are gone.

So I intend to take pictures of people and of the ordinary sites around town. I recognise that Bristol has changed, so in another thirty years I want to be able to spot those changes, and remind myself and children how it used to be, how it is now. From the cars in the streets to the Banksy graffiti, it needs recording for my personal interest.

:0)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home