The Chalybeate

Wednesday 5 March 2008

Wining

I'm drinking a Chilean Pinot Noir at the moment. A cheapish branded wine, from Cono Sur. It's just like an expensive Burgundy should be, but without the expense.

They say that Burgundy is like wine with the wine taken out; and I generally agree. Several times, I've bought "good" Burgundy, only to find it thin, acidic and astringent. I probably won't bother doing so again. Yes, it can be terrific, but at a cost. How can the Chileans do it? There are half a dozen brands of Chilean wine that are consistently enjoyable, whether one is drinking red or white, sweet or dry, and all at a sensible supermarket price. It's now my criterion for purchase - look for the country, grab a bottle, have a decent two or three nights' glass of wine without thinking that I made the wrong choice.

And all because a bloke called Beer started thinking about wine in Allende's day. He was a Brit, of course.


:0)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home