The Chalybeate

Tuesday 5 February 2008

Shrove Tuesday

For some reason, I felt that I had to write something about today, as it's been full of little incidents and accidents and quite satisfying in a minor way. So, what's it been about?

The plethora of pigeons and doves visible from my office window in the morning? The sound of the tits piping when I walked into the garden?

Was it the satisfaction of clearing away ivy from the boundary wall between our garden and our neighbours' to measure the degree of lean that the wall is developing after 110 years? (Too much, is the answer. It's moved by another inch or so out of true in the last four years. This means that in another fifteen, it might fall unless we prevent it from doing so)

Finding the source of the horrible leak in our bedroom bay, which means that our carpet and floorboards become sodden in heavy rain, if the wind is from the south?

Switching on my phone to receive a text from Kaa, who has cut me off completely? Then realising it probably wasn't meant for me and starting to reply, but checking the message origins and discovering that it had originally been sent to me in October 2006 (!) and must have been caught in a database error somewhere in hyperspace? Strange. I'd been complaining about her to someone else only minutes before.

Or was it the perfection of the pancakes which I had cooked for our evening meal: the first time I had cooked standard flour-egg-milk crepes for a couple of years?

Or was it deciding that spring is coming early, as were the toads we discovered copulating upon Tyne Path as Moonface and I walked out to see a band in the evening? After having done the same ourselves.

Or was it the fun of seeing a young band playing in a sweaty noisy bar, and listening to teenage girls screaming at them, in a way that we haven't heard since the '70's ?

Whatever, it was a decent day, and I enjoyed even the bad bits.


:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home