The Chalybeate

Wednesday 7 May 2008

Falling Dan

Falling Dan,


Sometimes, I think I'd like to be taller, or slimmer, or more handsome or more intelligent or richer. On the whole, though, I'm content with the way that things are. But the one gift in a friend that I envy, is Dan Monks' voice. He sings beautifully, wonderfully; and writes songs that touch the heart. For a couple of years he has headed a small band called Falling Dan, with a harmonising alto, Sara, and John Slattery, the bassist. Their songs are simple, almost folky, but full of emotion. I went to a gig at the Thekla yesterday evening, and although both he and Sara were not at their best, it was terrific. "Sunday" is one of the most affecting songs I know.

With any luck, I'll see them in even better voice next weekend in the Tao Bar.


:0)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home