The Chalybeate

Monday 9 June 2008

First swim

Making the most of this run of warm, sunny weather, I cycled to the Lake after work for my first official swim of the year. I write "official" because I took the chance of a quick dip in late April after a few hours with a working party, clearing the edges of the Lake before the start of the season. Then, too early in the year, the water was cold, only 13C, so I had to steel myself to enter and only managed a couple of widths - say 50m - before struggling to the side all mottled pink and blue. I felt ashamed to manage so little, as there were two women who were gaily breast-stroking up and down and chatting together, but they were experienced in cold water, and had even travelled to Finland in winter to try their constitutions at ice-swimming. I don't know how they managed it.

Today, by contrast, the water had reached 18c, and the Lakeside was busy with the after-work and after-school crowd all around the perimeter, making the most of the sun. I managed an easy but slow 300m, not too bad for the first swim of the year, then cycled home again. Two of my cycling chums were also around: a good social start for a good social summer, I hope.


:0)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home