The Chalybeate

Tuesday 30 September 2008

Maisy


Is posting these pictures morbid or a lapse of taste?



Maisy the cat died yesterday.

As I wrote in this blog a month or so ago, she had been getting steadily - or unsteadily, rather - weaker as the weeks passed. She eats well, but has become thinner and thinner, with hardly any flesh covering her bones. In spite of her coat of fine fur, when we stroked her her bones were individually identifiable by our fingers, and she wobbled upon her hind legs.

I had had my first dental appointment for three years in the early afternoon. Upon my return I started to make myself some tea, then at Maisy's persistent whining, I fed her with half a tin of catfood, placing it in a bowl outside in the shade. A few minutes later, back at my desk, I felt suddenly faint and woozy for a couple of seconds (I have no idea why; perhaps I should go the doctors') so I walked over to the window to clear my head. Looking down into the garden, Maisy was lying on her side on the grass, half-way between her bowl and her daytime retreat on the patio. She didn't move, so I went down into the garden to look at her. Her eyes were open, her body warm but stiffening. Poor thing.



After Moonface & Tommo returned from work, we buried her behind a bush.
We had told Porks to expect the bad news, so she wasn't too upset.
Today, I cancelled the vet's appointment I had made a few hours before Maisy's death, to see how she was.


:o(

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home