The Chalybeate

Monday 18 May 2009

New York Greys

Skyline from across Central Park, misty day.

I took a 36 hour stopover en route to Washington for a business trip.

New York, at least Manhattan, is overwhelming.

It's noisy, crowded and the buildings are huge. I'm not a fan of London, but this place was the Square Mile squared. I felt intimidated at first. It's vertical, sheer cliffs of stone and brick and granite and glass only missing pterodactyls to be a scene from a man-made hell. Yet it's thriving and busy and at ground level more than the equal of anywhere else I've been, every frontage occupied with eateries and shops. Most were busy from the huge numbers of people living around only a few blocks from wherever they needed to be.

With only a day and a bit in the city, I chose the wrong weather since the tops of the skyscrapers were dressed in mist, grey ladies in veils. My site-seeing was limited to two hours cycling, lots of walking and a visit to MoMA....next time I'll do more. At least I'll have someone to do it with. Perhaps.



:o)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home