The Chalybeate

Thursday 21 January 2010

Fluoride

I've just returned from the dentist where I had a root canal cleaned & filled, so I'm unable to speak properly and cannot make the work calls I should be doing.

With my mouth full of anaesthetic, one of the things which I bitterly regret about being born when I was, is the poor state of my teeth. Brought up in the 1950's in a soft-water area, it was before the days of water fluoridation and fluoride toothpaste so as a child I suffered lots of fillings and a few lost teeth. The poor post-war diet didn't help, either. My children seem to have fared much better, with very few fillings at all inspite of Tom's disregard for dental hygiene.

It's expensive, too, is having bad teeth. Each major treatment seems to be hundreds of pounds, and the NHS doesn't seem interested in this aspect of health, as there are few dentists who take NHS patients. At least the fillings are white, my dentist seems pretty good, and I'm in a much better state than many of my contempories.

:o(

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home