The Chalybeate

Monday 28 December 2009

Lisinopril Christmas

I've known for some time that I have high blood pressure, which was confirmed last March when I took part in the Biobank project and resulted in a visit to the doctor. It's not caused me any problems so far, but I'd rather not suffer from a heart-attack or stroke as my friend Eddy recently did. After a couple more visits with little change in my condition, the doctor gave me a prescription for an ACE inhibitor, Lisinopril, which he tells me I will have to take for the rest of my life.

So to celebrate my new-found servitude and gratitude to the NHS and the pharmaceutical industry, I took the first dose on Christmas day.

Yesterday we went down to Southampton to meet my brother and some of his family. He's four years younger than me, but he told me that he has been on a similar drug for some years, plus a cocktail of others. There's an alpha-blocker in there somewhere, but I don't know what else. Our other brother is younger still, but he is also on medications so it seems as if I am the last to start.

I'm not worried, though. My parents came from large families and between them they have eight siblings. All ten of that generation are still alive, all ten are over eighty, so if all goes well I have every chance of being bright and mobile at ninety. So there's a long way to go, yet.

:0)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home