The Chalybeate

Thursday 17 December 2009

New Music

I may have written before that I am feeling jaded by the types of music which we've been listening to over the last couple of years. This was brought home to me last July by comparing Dot's collection of music on her phone with what was on my computer: hers was much more eclectic & varied. So apart from listening to stuff that she's sent me I thought that I should make the effort to look and hear.

The Polish club on Saturday night was a good start. Two bands played, neither in a style that I would normally have chosen but both were great fun to listen to. We didn't dance enough to the first one, as M is shy, but we did to East Pole, a strange combination of blues, jazz, middle-eastern scales, folk and...well, I think that they are uncategorisable. The band itself self seemed to be four members of the family plus one, which could account for their comfortable airs on stage.

Troyka were more of a fun band, also a weird combination of instruments: a guitarist, a harmonica and drum. Very east-European folky, great fun.

The Polish Club itself is interesting, as it's a huge cellar under a house in Clifton. It could be really atmospheric but as it's just one huge space with 1960's style chairs and tables it seems more like an underground youth club or soulless village hall. All it needs is better furniture.

:o)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home