The Chalybeate

Friday 4 December 2009

Hitchers

There are very few hitch-hikers on the roads these days, especially the types with rucksacks, so I was surprised to see someone at the motorway services trying to thumb a lift from the traffic.

Since I have fond memories of doing lots of hitching in my youth, I stopped and took the guy for fifty miles towards his destination. He wasn't the best of company, I must admit, as he was slightly creepy with an over-smiley face and brushed-forward straight hair, something like Bruce Glover who played Mr Wint, the gay Bond villain in Diamonds are Forever. My hitch-hiker was Dutch, lived with his mother, had never owned a mobile phone or had sent an email, and his destination was a Youth Hostel where he knew the warden. Still, he needed the lift, I was pleased to give it, and we both got where we wanted a little faster than otherwise. In my case it was because I drove slightly faster to get rid of him quicker.

I still like the principle of giving lifts to strangers.

:o/

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home