The Chalybeate

Sunday 5 February 2012

Eating out

As the years go by, Moonface and I seem to eat out in Bristol less and less frequently. I suppose that some of the reason is meanness, being unwilling to pay the premium for having someone cook for us. There's the feeling that sometimes, we could have cooked just as well and done so just as quickly.

I suppose that our home eating habits have something to do with it, too. Most days, Moonface, Tom & I sit down to eat together so we do have a chance to talk and (literally??) chew the fat. But generally, I like cooking. It's a soothing ritual that distracts from other concerns, a break in a working day that may sometimes extend too far. Focussing my mind upon chopping vegetables or checking the rice or browning some meat is a means of excluding all the little niggles of life for however long it lasts. And usually, we can produce something tasty and reasonably speedy and reasonably priced.

However at the end of last month I managed to eat out four times in a week. Tom & Rio's birthdays both fall in late January, so we took them to the 70's bistro-styled Runcible Spoon. Three courses and alcohol for twenty quid a head - wonderful fresh food, even though there was little choice. I'll go there again.

On Saturday night a couple of mates & I went to the Royal Oak. Again, good food, but by 9:30 the pub part of the Oak was filling with noisy lairy lads, stout and red with beer, who looked as if they were just waiting for the chance of a fight. There was too much semi-good-natured joshing for it to remain a peaceful evening.

Moonface and I had a simple café lunch in Malmesbury on the Sunday, then on Monday evening Captain Skull persuaded me into a curry at Saffron. As usual we ordered too much, but it was fresh, tasty, well-cooked and above all a curry. I even took away the doggy-bag of our leftovers for the next day's lunch.

So on Friday's visit to the health nurse, she told me that I had put on little weight over the last two years. I wonder why?

:o)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home