The Chalybeate

Thursday 23 March 2006

Dressing up

Tuesday evening was dreadful.
My daughter, Rio, the light of my life, will go to a formal dinner and ball on Saturday night for which she needs to wear a ball-gown. She bought one last year which looked lovely: floor-length crimson satin with a full skirt complete with linings. She looked lovely. She wore it again in November, but decided to shorten it as it had become rather tight. On Tuesday, disaster!

She has put on so much weight over the last four months that it was just too tight and her shoulders bulged like muffins.
She was devastated, as it was the first time she had truly realised how much fat she has put on. Not only is she mortified about her appearance, but she had to find a new dress by Saturday, involving shopping under pressure and lots of money. She cried herslef to sleep that night, and was inconsolable by either Moonface or myself. It's not as if she's really fat, just a bit overweight. I guess she doesn't see it like that.

On Wednesday morning, Rio's temper was vile as she made plans to go shopping after school. She was snappy and tearful. However.....

As I left home in the morning to walk to a meeting, I bumped into one of her favourite friends, R. (Well, R is my favourite of her friends. ) We talked as we walked together, and I explained the situation. Then I asked if R if she or anyone she knew had something the girl could borrow. Success! R is artistic and theatrical, and has a hoard of dresses, and had something that might suit. After a few phone calls and texts, followed by girlie bonding and cups of tea, Rio had a wispy flowing Monsoon dress in chestnut which looks beautiful.

On Wednesday evening, Rio's temper was calm, peaceful and her demeanor affectionate.

And all the stress lifted from my shoulders when I knew that she was happy again.
I hadn't realised how much her moods affect me and how much I adapt my behaviour to hers. I think there are only two other women who have that effect on me, and I've seen neither of them for a few months. Phew!

Come to think of it, both of them worry about their weight, as well......

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home