The Chalybeate

Wednesday 15 March 2006

A day out

My oldest friend - by which I mean, the friend whom I have known for the longest time - came to Bristol today. He's not been here since Moonface & I were married, nor has his wife. They visited with their daughter to look around the town and for her to see something of the University prior to her deciding where to study next year.

For me, it was an opportunity to take a sneaky day off, and to show something of the city. I think that my friends were impressed, even though we only had a few hours before they had to take the train back to London. We did a little of the best bits: Brandon Hill, the docks, the Suspension Bridge. Moonface joined us for lunch and the early afternoon.

What I enjoyed most was the ease with which we all slipped into each others' company; we hardly see each other these years yet there was a companionship and comfortable acceptance that is hard to achieve. It's wonderful to know that a friendship can be sustained over 40 years.

Alastair's wife is unusual: although she has lived in England for more than 20 years she is still very French in her mannerisms and looks. She works in health safety studies, and has been very successful in NICE over here . And Alastair? Lean, gaunt, craggy, lanky and very fit. He roller-blades like a demon and at 50+ has taken part in winnning marathon teams. We should see more of each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home