The Chalybeate

Tuesday 10 June 2008

Moselle


The cool grey of yesterday's water reminded me of a wonderful swim last summer; in the Moselle near Nancy. Kaa's brother-in-law's cabin is perched just above the river, with a wild garden running down to the banks. I'm no good at relaxing in the sun, and my conversational French was not good enough that day, so I swam. The Moselle was turbid and muddy, running deep close to the banks, and fast enough for me to have to swim strongly against the current to maintain my position. Yet still, it was a cool, relaxing place to watch the occasional barge go by, with small fish in the shallows, and to spend some time on my own.

If only I had foreseen the arguments and turmoil of the coming evening.............


;0]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home