The Chalybeate

Tuesday 19 May 2009

New York Doll

At least the natives are friendly. Well, some of them.

As I said, the architecture is the main attraction of the city so I wandered into Grand Central where I was appropriately amazed at the space and grandeur of the main concourse; larger than most concert halls, better lit and more decorative. It's a beautiful, symmetric and spacious hall, airy and artful. It puts any European station to shame.

Trying to leave, the exit signs & directions meant nothing to me so I asked a nearby woman which of the many exits to take in order to head towards my hotel's street. We fell into conversation and she confessed that she'd just been stood up for the Friday night by her girlfriend - so we agreed to eat together. So we did. She knew the city, we headed for a familiar tapas bar and ate well and drank and talked until it was time for her to get the train home to her distant suburb and husband.

But we got on well. I like rocky music in small venues and it turned out that she also did, having been a musician in a semi-successful punk band years ago and managed bands as well. We swapped musical preferences and tastes, talked histories and families and just felt easy with each other. Since her man isn't into music she offered to take me to a club on Saturday night and of course I accepted.

Hence after my Saturday siteseeing and her domestic day, we met again in the station, took a trip into Brooklyn, ate a good Chinese meal (which she paid for), listened to a crap band, found a good couple of bars, didn't bother going into the club she knew, and had a fun night out in a part of town where I felt quite at home; the equivalent of Southville or Easton for the Bristolians reading this.

Then we parted at midnight at Grand Central station where we'd first met, probably never to see each other again although it would be really good if we did. So "E", if you ever read this - thanks: you made my weekend. And if you're ever in Bristol - I owe you a couple of nights on the town. And probably more.

:o)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home