The Chalybeate

Wednesday 22 July 2009

Latitude II : older women

Latitude is primarily a music festival, so Moonface & I spent most of our time listening to music of various sorts. I tried to listen to bands that I either hadn't heard play, or of whom I had good reports. I was idling around on Saturday afternoon, unsure of where to go, then decided to go see the Pretenders for old time's sake: after all, who'd expect anything decent from a middle-aged band that was punk in the 1970's?

But they were great. Chrissie Hynde, at 58, is now my heroine. She was outstanding on her guitar and out-played men thirty years younger than her; she sang and posed with the best of them, and I think that their gig was one of the weekend's high spots for me. Who'd have guessed? Her attitude was still aggressive and attacking, the lyrics stood clear, and the audience rocked along. She swore, she joked, she sang and played guitar. I couldn't have asked for more.


Then, top of the bill on Saturday night on the main stage, we had Grace Jones. She provided a spectacle rather than a concert but captivated her audience and sang & danced semi-nude for most of the gig. At 61? She's not my type, but she was certainly magnificent. There's hope for us all.

:o)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home