The Chalybeate

Thursday 9 July 2009

Wroclaw



Wroclaw is built around its islands, where the Odra used to run in rapids and split into many smaller streams which I guess once made it easier to bridge and the islands into secure places to live. Now the river is tamed and the city has extended, but its heart is still the river, the many small islands and the old town.

I enjoyed my stay there. Obviously for the company, the relaxed atmosphere, but it's also a good little city for a not-very-busy weekend break. The centre is pretty but typically central European, with not much to see beyond the reconstructed square and the many brick churches.

And there are lots of rather nice beer vendors in the main square, serving lots of drinks for very reasonable prices (so far as Brits are concerned). I must confess that I spent quite a bit of time there yet didn't get a hangover at all, which is unusual for me and beer.

It's unlikely that I'd choose to return to Wroclaw except for sentimental reasons, but I do want to go back to Poland as there seems to be much more to see than I'd expected, and the history is something which needs to be explored.

:o)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home