The Chalybeate

Sunday 12 July 2009

Relief & comparisons

I was rather nervous before going out to Wroclaw to meet Dorota, as the last time I had spent an extended weekend visiting a female friend, it had ended very badly and Kaa has not spoken to me since.

With regards to that Nancy weekend, I still don't know what I did wrong (if anything), as Kaa refused to say. That was a weird few days - thinking about it, it's now exactly two years since I flew out to Nancy to meet her and her man. I still cannot work out what I did to offend her, or why she wouldn't say what it was. The situation was surreal. At four in the afternoon of my last day she was happily scampering around naked at her brother-in-law's cabin by the river; by seven she was refusing to speak and had her face set with a scowl like stone. That was probably the worst emotional shock I'd had for years. It didn't help that I'd had a call to tell me that Moonface's mother had fallen badly and was in hospital.

But that's a long time ago, now.

Last weekend in Wroclaw was different. For a start, Dorota and I didn't know each other so intimately beforehand. We'd talked a fair bit when she worked in England, but that was in 2001. And we'd exchanged irregular emails since then, but nothing really personal - it was more of the sort of relationship that men have, I suppose; nothing too deep. So really, things could have gone very wrong but they didn't, and the opposite happened.

We got on very well, surprisingly well, and had such a good time. I'd been expecting Dorota to be there with her boyfriend but it turned out that he'd remained in Torun, and her working days were less extensive than we'd feared. This meant that we had a decent chunk of time every day to just spend chatting, walking around doing some desultory sightseeing and drinking beer. So that's what we did, and enjoyed it. Her work commitments meant that we didn't get on top of each other too much, so we coped better with the time we had and (I hope) extended a good friendship. So here's to her visits to the UK in September and possibly before.

:o)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home