The Chalybeate

Sunday 28 November 2010

Choral

I enjoy some classical music but Moonface isn't keen, so we rarely get to concerts.
She was ill and tired yesterday evening after an afternoon of art so I decided to go to the choral concert at the Colston Hall by myself. I'm so pleased that I did.
The programme was of three pieces from British composers between 1912-1917, so there was a clear theme and cohesion to the evening. It started with Holst's Hymn of Jesus which immediately sent me into a reverie-like state of intense peace, so much so that I just concentrated on the music for the next hour. The next piece was Vaughan-Williams' Lark Ascending, with such a soft start and subtle quiet playing that the whole audience was hushed and attentive throughout. It was wonderful.

I didn't even feel like a Billy-No-Mates, as I bumped into several people I knew in the interval and spent it nattering with John the Archer's Vicar and Lindsay. An easy evening with a good walk to finish.

:o)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home