The Chalybeate

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Major One




Late last year I bought a bike from eBay, sight unseen and theoretically my size. It was a road single-speed, just what I wanted, but the 49cm size turned out to be too small for me. Damn. I had fun enough riding it but I was very aware that it wasn't quite right so when in January I saw that a woman on Singletrack was looking for an identical small bike to replace one that had been stolen I offered to sell mine. No joy. She decided to buy a better bike made by a different manufacturer, but also 49cm. I didn't know about that, of course.

A couple of weeks ago I dropped her an email asking if she was still interested in my bike and she told me that her new purchase turned out to be too large. So with a bit of havering and cash adjustments and parts-swapping we decided to exchange bikes. I'm pleased that we did.

I've ended up with a lovely single-speed carbon-forked cyclocross bike that's just a pleasure to ride, at a just-about-affordable price. It's rare for me to really like a bike from the outset, but this one feels just perfect for me. I hope that I remain strong enough to use it for a good long time.


Thank you, Juliet.

:o)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home