The Chalybeate

Sunday 28 May 2006

I'm just dim.

I enjoy reading for pleasure, and I like the books I read to be well-written and entertaining. I read novels as well as non-fiction, but both for fun. I did manage to read "Da Vinci Code", but it was the worst-written load of tosh I laid my eyes on for years. God knows (exactly) why it's been so popular. At least I borrowed the book rather than buying it.

The last couple of books I have read have been stimulating and complex. And so I ended up with Essays of Montaigne and Shere Hite next on my list.......then I gave up. I returned to a cheap detective / adventure story that I first read about fiftenn years ago, and loved it. No complex ideas, no thought-provoking ideas, just a relaxing read. On the plus side, at least the story (The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis) has some historic content as it's set in the Roman period, and it mentions both the lead mines on Mendip, and Sea Mills on my regular cycle ride round Bristol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home