The Chalybeate

Saturday 11 December 2010

Clearing up

I don't do gardening.
I may mow the lawn or pick up odd lumps of cement that surface in the flower-beds from building works gone by, but generally I don't garden.

But today I cleared up the dead growth from the path leading to our front door, the dead flowers that were killed in the recent frosts and which have been lying there, blackening and giving silent reproach every time I walk by. Moonface, chief gardener, has been resistant to me clearing the path because she thinks it looks pretty when overgrown; so I waited until she's returned the right tool from the allotment, and had gone out for a while. Oh, it was satisfying to get rid of all that messy dead stuff and start to make it look somewhat tidier.

Sometime, I'll get around to hacking out some of the Lady's Mantle that is slowly forcing apart the flagstones in our back garden. That's a strange plant. I remember that when I was a child of five or so, my mother was quite excited by finding small growths of the stuff on the railway embankment near home as it was so rare. Perhaps that's because we were in the North, and winters were colder then. In our garden, it's a definite unruly weed.

Clearing the dead foliage from the front path gave me a curious sense of optimism in this cold grey time of year. Hacking the fronds away, I exposed astounding deposits of rich black soil which have magically accumulated over the last coupe of years and which would have acted as seed-beds for yet more plants if I hadn't cleared it away. I could see that in spite of man's imposition of brick and concrete, Gaia is slowly yet continually fighting back and how if left unattended, our cities would revert sooner rather than later. Like the Roman cities buried under English fields, our modern world would soon be covered and reborn as something different.

We are getting closer to the Solstice again.

:o)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home